Re: [O] Editing Org-mode syntax in a web-browser (textarea)?

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: [O] Editing Org-mode syntax in a web-browser (textarea)?
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 20:34:01 +0200

Thorsten Jolitz <address@hidden> writes:

> Ian Barton <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On 25/09/14 07:58, Thorsten Jolitz wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi List,
>>>
>>> this question is explicitly *not* about popping up an emacsclient
>>> instance from firefox or chrome to edit an html textarea in Emacs. And
>>> its *not* about emacs-w3m or eww.
>>>

>> Not an answer to your question, but I sometimes use Stackedit:
>> https://github.com/benweet/stackedit
>>
>> This can export to several backends, so maybe it could be adapted to
>> export in org-mode, although editing in org-mode would be nicer!
>
> Nevertheless, this is interesting, thx.
>
> I'm not sure if I'm looking for a rich-text browser editor that exports
> to Org syntax, or rather for some tool that makes it more convenient to
> directly work with Org syntax in a browser textarea window.
>
> E.g. tables - nobody would use Org tables if every vertical and
> horizontal line/dash would need to be typed in manually ... thats just
> to tedious.
>
> I wonder if there is something browser-based that is still plain text
> oriented, but helps with input/editing like emacs. Of course emacsclient
> would be perfect for this, but assume its about 'normal' people who
> never heard of emacs and only have their browser with maybe a plugin.

Actually, looking at https://github.com/benweet/stackedit, one possible
workaround came to my mind, though it might be considered a bit heretical
on this list:

 - Use Google Docs as a wide-spread online editor

 - Write an Google Docs addon to support Org syntax (possible? easy?
   hard? no idea ...)

 - Download the html of the doc

 - Use pandoc to convert the html to org

I read that quite a few research institutions go for the Google Docs
route to enable online collaboration between latex and non-latex users,
and there are several tools that export to latex.

--
cheers,
Thorsten