Re: [O] Enforcing newlines in plain text export

From: Richard Lawrence
Subject: Re: [O] Enforcing newlines in plain text export
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 08:59:41 -0700

Hi Kaushal,

Kaushal <address@hidden> writes:

> I am requesting a consistent solution.
>
> If "//" at the end of a line inserts newline when exporting in all formats,
> then it should do the same when used in between a line too for ALL export
> formats.
>
> Example: #+TITLE: Line one // Line two
>
> I am simply trying to explain why we need another solution for the sake of
> consistency across all org exported formats.

Like I said, I agree that something like this would be useful; I
occasionally would like "\\" to have more general behavior, too.
Anyway, it seems worth discussing.

My point is that this would be a new feature, which is technically
*inconsistent* with the currently-documented behavior.  Implementing it
would take some work and would involve breaking backward
compatibility. (At least in theory -- I don't know if anyone out there
relies on "\\" *not* being translated when it does not appear at the end
of a line, but someone might be.)  So it's not something to be taken
lightly.

Does anyone know why the behavior of "\\" is presently restricted to
appearing at the end of the line in a paragraph?  Does anyone need it to
be exported literally when it appears elsewhere?

Best,
Richard