Re: [O] org-mode for knowledge management

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] org-mode for knowledge management
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 16:48:39 -0500

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Daniel Clemente <address@hidden> wrote:

>> > I've been using org-mode for a variety of purposes for a few years. I find
>> > that it suffers from the same problem that other such tools do. The
>> > problem is me. I can't remember week to week how I may have classified
>> > some scrap of information. Did I drop it into notes/someproduct.org or was
>> > it procedures/someprocess.org?
>
> 1. Every information should have a single location, not two. Mix sections fast
> if you detect repetitions. Use links extensively (C-c l) to connect one header
> with another, specially after you get lost once. Don't bother too much about
> finding the right place at the first time, you'll eventually reorder or move
> headers to the correct place.

I'm curious about this. Is this a well-known recommendation/best
practice? I actually struggle with this a great deal. Often a bit of
research or testing for a specific project at work is very possibly
relevant to any number of future projects. So, working in product
development, I find it hard to decide what the best "single location"
is, and would love for it to act as though it were in multiple
locations.

When the current project is done, I'd like to archive everything
specifically related to it while keeping around the general knowledge
I've accumulated for use with future efforts.

Or is this what you mean by using links? Are you just saying that
individuals should not be copying the same text around in multiple
places?

Thanks,
John

[snip]