Re: [O] org-mode for knowledge management

From: Daniel Clemente
Subject: Re: [O] org-mode for knowledge management
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 18:36:23 +0700

El Fri, 10 Oct 2014 16:48:39 -0500 John Hendy va escriure:

> > 1. Every information should have a single location, not two. Mix sections
> > fast
> > if you detect repetitions. Use links extensively (C-c l) to connect one
> > header
> > with another, specially after you get lost once. Don't bother too much about
> > finding the right place at the first time, you'll eventually reorder or move
> > headers to the correct place.
>
> I'm curious about this. Is this a well-known recommendation/best
> practice?

  I find it it similar to the „Don't repeat yourself“ principle. But I was just
explaining my experience.

> I actually struggle with this a great deal. Often a bit of
> research or testing for a specific project at work is very possibly
> relevant to any number of future projects. So, working in product
> development, I find it hard to decide what the best "single location"
> is, and would love for it to act as though it were in multiple
> locations.
>
> When the current project is done, I'd like to archive everything
> specifically related to it while keeping around the general knowledge
> I've accumulated for use with future efforts.

  I use no tags or categories, just a clear and manual separation of concepts.
E.g. it's not the same activity „I'm learning about database X“ and „I'm
considering database X for project Y“, because notes from the first one go to
Databases.org and notes from the second one to ProjectY.org. Clocking is
different (even if I'm learning about X, I clock in Y if I'm doing it as part
of a project).
  Therefore I try to keep project notes at a minimum, because they are dated
and ephimeral, whereas the general knowledge accumulates in other files (one
file per topic, encyclopedia-style).

> Or is this what you mean by using links? Are you just saying that
> individuals should not be copying the same text around in multiple
> places?

  Of course copy+paste is a nightmare to maintain (see: DRY). I am still forced
to do it with some org tables which do complex calculations. I think org offers
dynamic tables to apply the same process to different data sources, but it gets
complex. I think there's no such thing as „templates“ where you change the base
one and all uses of it (in all files) are automatically updated.

  About links: in org-mode they all look the same, but semantically there are
many types, like:
- *is-a*: „this is a concrete implementation of [[that generic knowledge]]“
- *related*: „related to this is: [[that]]“
- *same-as*: „this and [[that]] are exactly the same topic, so write only under
that header, not here“ ← this is poor man's transclusion, or more like
„symbolic links“ in ext4. With it, a header seems to be present in many places
at the same time; in reality the content is only in one place and the rest are
links. The good thing is, it doesn't really matter /where/ exactly is that
tree, because you'll find it anyway by following maximum 1 link. X can link to
Y, or Y can link the X; what's important is that reading both X or Y you'll
find exactly the same thing (not copy+pasted contents).

  So, it's all about finding a manual algorithm to organize things.

Daniel