Re: [O] org-mode for knowledge management

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: [O] org-mode for knowledge management
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 22:17:27 -0700

(defun alpha-org-what-links-here ()
  "Show all links that point to the current node.  Also show the
node itself.

This makes id links quasi-bidirectional."
  (interactive)
  (let ((org-agenda-files (alpha-org-all-org-files
                           :archive t
                           :text-search-extra t))
        ;; turn off redundancy
        ;;   fixme probably going to be redone
        org-agenda-text-search-extra-files)
    (org-search-view nil (org-entry-get nil "ID" t))))

On 10/12/14, Daniel Clemente <address@hidden> wrote:
> El Mon, 13 Oct 2014 10:42:28 +0800 Eric Abrahamsen va escriure:
>> >
>> > This is the bit I'm not sure about...
>> >
>> > * project_a
>> > ** experiment about blah     :proj_name:theme:
>> > [2014-10-11]
>> >
>> > Did x, y, and z today. Will analyze results tomorrow.
>> >
>> > [2014-10-12]
>> >
>> > Wow. Interesting finding. This will help a lot and may be relevant to
>> > future projects!
>> >
>> …
>>
>> Perhaps both links and tags are what you're after then: you could leave
>> a link to the general finding inside "experiment about blah" (to remind
>> yourself you took that note), but also use the tags to open Agendas on
>> both project and theme, so you can see all the relevant information in
>> one place.
>>

>> > * project_a
>> > ** experiment about blah     :proj_name:theme:
>
>   I think it's crazy to use topics as tags. How many topics/themes are
> there? Wikipedia counts many million. Names of topic are very subjective.
> Topics are often mixed, split apart, refined, renamed, grouped in
> supertopics, …
>   In org it's easy to remodel hierarchical headers but it's not easy to
> remodel tags (much less, hierarchical tags).
>
>   So rather than:
>
> ** some construction          :plastics_engineering:
>

>   I would have:
>
> Engineering.org:
> * Plastics
> * Houses
> * …
>

>   I understand you use tags and „tag search“ to be able to look for bits of
> a particular topic in a file which is not related to the topic.
>   It would be better to have a tag that in addition links to a particular
> tree. With that you'd have the freedom of tagging anything and the
> flexibility of headers.
>
>   Some brainstorming about how to link tags with headers: Two options:
>
> 1) There is a main tag in a header, and the other tags link to it (with C-c
> C-o you navigate to the main tag).
>
> proj1.org:
> ** some construction          :plastics_engineering:
>
> Engineering.org:          :<<<plastics_engineering>>>:
> * Plastics
> * Houses
> * …
>

> 2) You use links and you ask for backlinks
>
> proj1.org:
> ** some construction [link to P]
>
> Engineering.org:
> * Plastics
>   :ID: 1231212311122
> * Houses
> * …
>
> And then… a key to *search for links to a header* („backlinks“). Can org do
> this now?.
> E.g. you go to „Plastics“ and you search „all the backlinks found in
> proj1.org“. Then you have the generic knowledge and in addition all the bits
> of specific knowledge about that topic.
>

> Maybe this is already possible… Whether it's useful, I don't know.

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  And
ANYBODY can get it.

Denmark: free Karina Hansen NOW.