Re: [O] org-class and headers

From: Joseph Le Roux
Subject: Re: [O] org-class and headers
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 16:47:00 +0200

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Joseph Le Roux <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I am a professor and I use org-class to schedule my lectures. It is very
>> useful to organize these repeated events and take into account holidays.
>> But inevitably in the academic world, some lectures get cancelled,
>> postponed, or moved to another day. In this case org-class does not
>> provide an efficient way to cancel and/or reschedule lectures. Another
>> issue I have is the inability to mark one class as DONE and still have
>> the remaining classes marked as TODO, and more generally to organize
>> notes and sort them by class sessions. Has any orgmode user ever solved
>> this problem ?
>
> If a class is canceled you can drop that week from the line and puts a
> time stamp for the new one below.  In the following week 12 is dropped
> and a replacement class is scheduled on 2014-03-18.
>
> * class
> <2014-03-18 Tue 11:00-13:00>
> %%(org-class 2014 02 24 2014 03 25 1 12) class 11:00-13:00

Yes of course, another timestamp! Great, now I can reschedule a
postponed/cancelled lecture.

>> I've been thinking about this and I've come up with a possible solution.
>> Could org-class be modified in order to generate a list of headers, one
>> for each session of the class? These headers could then be independently
>> rescheduled at will. And of course each header could have its own
>> content. Any thought on how to implement this?
>
> Will `org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift' do what you want?

Thanks for the pointer, it could be very handy in my use-case, but this
function copies the org-class as is for all clones. I would like to
generate a list of headers, one for each session (with the actual date
of the session). Maybe I will try to see how org-class computes all the
dates, then I can clone the header with the appropriate time-shift/new
date.

> Hope it helps,
> Rasmus

Thank you for your help,