Re: [O] Exponents / subscripts

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Exponents / subscripts
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 11:13:58 +0200

Hello,

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Had preview-latex supported Org I'd maybe agree, but I disagree
> strongly at this time.

Patch welcome.

> sub/superscript works well with entities and makes it very easy to
> edit math and get approximate live feedback.

Unfortunately, some users complain about the approximation. OTOH, I'm
pretty sure that most LaTeX users can parse sub/superscript LaTeX code
without any fontification at all.

> IOW and IMO, the "bug", if any, is the fontification of superscript in
> math.

This is not Org's job since you're talking about a non-compatible
syntax. I think it should be done in a different library (i.e., not
"org.el"), if at all.

You want to implement a subset of Auctex. Either you delegate it to that
major mode (à la Babel), at the price of some slowdown, or you duplicate
code from it (i.e., `font-latex-match-script').

In both cases, you need to know when point is on a math snippet or
environment, which should rely on `org-element-context' if you're
serious about it.

This doesn't solve the leak of Org's fontification on math snippets and
environments.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou