Re: [O] An Org-mode LaTeX class?

From: Mike McLean
Subject: Re: [O] An Org-mode LaTeX class?
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 05:49:22 -0400

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 4:02 AM, Fabrice Popineau <address@hidden> wrote:
I think that I don't know if you can suit everybody's need but that is worth a try.
For myself, I already wrote a dedicated LaTeX class, because it was too cumbersome
to configure org-mode for the different kind of documents I need to produce
(not impossible, just too lengthy to duplicate parameters).

I did something similar, for similar reasons. I found it easier to make a LaTeX Template look like what I wanted than to force Org into generating LaTeX that was what I wanted.

Hence, I have a class that can output exams, lab sessions texts, course notes and slides
with only a couple of options.

I haven't done slides yet, because I've not picked up Beamer and my approach was more branding. I have once class that brand-matches my primary employer (Font, logo usage, etc.), another one that matches one of my large volunteer efforts, and yet another generic “personal” one for “my” documents.

And I export only subtrees that are configured for
this class. it took a bit of time, but it definitely worth it.

Agreed

Hi all,

I have a dream;-).

Imagine someone wrote a dedicated Org-mode LaTeX class, and the LaTeX
exporter got an option to export to this class.  The class modifies
LaTeX so that it supports all Org's elements and objects, and things
like tags, timestamps, checkboxes etc.  Moreover, the look of these
elements is configurable on the LaTeX end, and further by means of Org
options.  This way, we drop the "generic LaTeX" thing (which is nice for
people sending articles to journals etc. – so my dream should not
replace the current LaTeX exporter, only constitute a variant!), but
instead we gain a beautiful, configurable pdf rendering of Org buffers.

Though I'll admit this does sound intriguing.