Re: [O] Repeated teaching classes and stopping date

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] Repeated teaching classes and stopping date
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 12:06:33 +0100

Xavier Garrido <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Rasmus,
>
> Le 10/11/2014 18:37, Rasmus a écrit :
>> Hi Xavier,
>>
>> Xavier Garrido <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I'm trying to move to =org-agenda= and I'm converting some of my
>>> Google Calendar entries into Org agenda entries. I'm facing an issue
>>> with repeated tasks and how to properly stop the event. Consider the
>>> following entry :
>>>
>>> * [Master 1] Nuclear & particle class
>>> <2015-01-21 mer. 14:00-16:00 +1w>--<2015-03-22 dim.>
>>>
>>> For me it means, I will teach every week @ 14:00 to 16:00 until the
>>> 22th of March. I am surely doing something bad since the events
>>> actually appear every day until the 22th of March. It basically works
>>> when I remove the --<2015-03-22 dim.> but then how to stop the
>>> repeated tasks.
>>>
>>> Sorry if the answer is obvious but I have read org-mode manual
>>> (http://orgmode.org/manual/Repeated-tasks.html) and other "timestamp"
>>> related pages and I didn't find a way to do that.
>>
>> Did you check `org-class'?  Also check
>> `org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift'.  If you search for the latter you
>> will find a recent discussion on what I think is the topic you are
>> interested in.
>>

> Thanks for the hints, I should have read the FAQ first since my
> problem is clearly addressed (here for example
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#diary-sexp-in-org-files). In SO
> this guy also have the same problem
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2464598/org-mode-schedule-weekly-event-for-a-period

They also point to `org-class` in one of the answers.

> I will try to slightly modify the ical2org.awk file from Eric Fraga
> http://orgmode.org/worg/code/awk/ical2org.awk to automatically
> converts ical file into org and to manage this repeating task.

If you want...  There are already two functions that were created for
this stuff.

> I have to say that it is a bit frustrating that the syntax <YYYY-MM-DD
> +1w>--<YYYY-MM-DD> is not working because it is pretty simple and
> quite elegant.

Patch welcome!  I can see the syntax being somewhat intuitive, but I
think maybe the double use of "--" is confusing.  Why not:

      <YYYY-MM-DD> +1w> until <yyyy-mm-dd>

Anyway. . .

Cheers,
Rasmus