Re: [O] pdf images in html export

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [O] pdf images in html export
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 14:09:06 +0100

Andreas Leha <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Marco,
>
> Marco Wahl <address@hidden> writes:
>> Andreas Leha <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> how would I export an org file containing
>>>
>>>   [[file:./myimage.pdf]]
>>>
>>> to html so that a say png version myimage.pdf is inlined in the html
>>> which links to the pdf?
>>>
>>> I guess it should be possible to run imagemagick on all pdf links during
>>> export somehow.
>>
>> You could introduce a relation of the pdf-filenames to the respective
>> thumb-filenames e.g. by using the suffix '_thumb'.  Before the export
>> the conversion tool would create the thumbs.
>>
>> The org-file could reference the data as
>>
>> [[file:./myimage.pdf][file:myimage_thumb.png]]
>>
>> See the info page (info "(org)Images in HTML export")?
>>
>> Untested.  I just accidentially browsed that info page yesterday.
>>

> Thanks for your thoughts.  I would like to automate all of that.  So, I
> guess the first question is where to put code that would trigger the
> conversion and how to best detect links to pdfs.

Well - this is coming again and again - but no solution out of the
box. There are effectively two approaches:

1) Macro to change properties according to backend used.

One usage is changing the file name extension according to the
backend. This is implemented as a simplified macro below. This could
be done by using ~(by-backend (html "graph.png") (latex "graph.pdf") (t
"graph.pdf"))~

See
[[http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-LaTeX.html#sec-4-3][work
 section ob-doc-LaTeX]] for details.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (setq org-babel-latex-htlatex "htlatex")
  (defmacro rmk-by-backend (&rest body)
    `(case (if (boundp 'backend) (org-export-backend-name backend) nil) ,@body))
#+end_src

2) To use svg image format, which is supported by both (although has
   it's drawbacks: slow rendering of the html, need to run external programs
upon compilation)

So the first might be the modst feasible option.

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de