[O] Long table with NAME but no CAPTION

From: presnell
Subject: [O] Long table with NAME but no CAPTION
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 19:27:53 -0500

If I export a table with

#+ATTR_LATEX: :environment longtable
#+NAME: mytable

then the beginning of the longtable environment (in the exported
latex file) has, e.g.,

\begin{longtable}{lrrl}
\label{mytable}
\\
\hline

This is a problem, because of the extra space created by the \\.  I
tried to fix it by changing ox-latex.el, but the longtable environment
(in latex) requires the \\ when there is a \label{} command, even in the
absence of a caption.  This looks like a bug in longtable to me, but it
is also true that in a pure LaTeX context it would be very unusual for a
table to have a \label{} without a \caption{}, because there would be no
printed target for \ref{mylabel} to refer to.

Note that there is no problem if the org table has no NAME, since then
the lines

\label{mytable}
\\

are not produced.  But I want the NAME in the org file because because I
use data from the table to do calculations in other tables via
"remote(mytable, ...)".

So my sugggestion would be for org's latex export to produce no \label{}
(and hence no \\) when the table has no caption, or at least I would
prefer to have this as an option.  Is there some way to achieve this?

Perhaps I should also file a bug report with the author/maintainer of
longtable, David Carlisle?

One more minor comment: I notice that org-mode's latex export puts the
\label{} inside the argument of the \caption{} command.  This seems
unusual to me.