Re: [O] Inline code :results replace not working

From: Michael
Subject: Re: [O] Inline code :results replace not working
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 18:40:36 +0000 (UTC)

wisdomandwonder.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 11:03 AM, Ista Zahn <istazahn <at> gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> [snip]

> >> +1 from me as well. For exactly the reason Andreas illustrated I've
> >> given up on using inline results for the past year or so. Would be
> >> great to see this feature become usable by implementing a system for
> >> replacing them.
> >
> > My approach here has been to use "hidden" source blocks that aren't
> > exported but make it
> > really easy to see the result during development. These settings
> > should work on any configuration,
> > so I didn't include mine here.
> >
> > ✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂
> > #+BEGIN_SRC R
> > a = 10
> > b = 23
> > c = a + b
> > #+END_SRC
> >
> > #+BEGIN_SRC R :results output silent :exports none
> > #+END_SRC
> >
> > The user calculated src_R{c}.
> > ✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂
> >
> > When you use these functions
> > http://orgmode.org/manual/Key-bindings-and-useful-functions.html#Key-
bindings-and-useful-functions
> > the addition of these "hidden" blocks hav almost zero cost and give me
> > what I want.
>
> The problem I have is not that I miss being able to see results of the
> inline block in the org-mode buffer. The problem is that I don't want
> blocks to be evaluated on export (too time consuming in many cases).
> So I turn that off, and either evaluate the blocks one at a time (I'm
> aware of the dangers of this, not my point here) or call
> org-babel-execute-buffer. Everytime I do that I get duplicate output
> from inline code. As far as I can see inline code +
> org-babel-execute-buffer is incompatible, which is why I gave up on
> the former.
>
> Best,
> Ista

+1

First of all nice that something is "happening" on the issue - happy not to
be the only one missing something.
+ 1
on  I also don't bother too much about the eval-on-export functionality as
long as I can evaluate the buffer and get non repeated inline results.
For now I don't use inline blocks anymore.

As an intermediate solution I would like to specify document wide options
for inline code blocks only (:results silent); sorry - cannot find the
example I saw on the net recently on how to do so. I could not get it
working.
I could set results silent argument in every inline src code but don't want
the inline source code to be too long unnecessarily (affects readability of
text).