Re: [O] Bug: Export to html and latex fails on these (relatively common)

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Export to html and latex fails on these (relatively common) strings [8.2.10 (8.2.10-16-g4c37a9-elpa @ /home/mzimmermann/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141110/)]
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 11:35:04 +0100

Hi,

> Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> IMO, it is worth pondering if we should drop the defective support for
>>> table.el tables in Org.
>>
>> Fine with me.  Last I checked I was not able to get the output of
>> tabel.el tables to be satisfying (e.g. I think I gave up on having them
>> follow booktabs when exporting to LaTeX).
>>
>> What are the advances of table.el?  Multicolumns and multiline row?
>
> Basically, yes.

So multiline rows doesn't matter.  We can collapse columns to not take
up too much horizontal space in buffers via <NUM>.  Long lines work out
of the box in ox-html and can easily be had via e.g. p-columns in
ox-latex.  No idea about ox-ascii or ox-odt.

Multicolumns would be very nice to have in Org-tables.  I'm not at all
how feasible this is, though. . .

Thus, the only feature we'd lose by dropping tabel.el is multicolumns.

> Note that dropping support for table.el tables in Org doesn't mean it is
> impossible to add them in an Org buffer: these tables are pretty much
> major mode agnostic.

Sure.  Same with org-table...

> However, M-q will fill them, C-c ' will not edit them and

Makes sense.

> export will have to be done by hand, using features explained in
> "table.el" comments.

Meh, they don't follow org-export-· and org-BACKEND-· anyway (I checked
this a while ago, maybe things changed). . .  If the previous statement
is correct, I don't know if Org really supports exporting them. . .

Anyway, that's just my €0.02.

—Rasmus

--
If you can mix business and politics wonderful things can happen!