Re: [O] Executing org shell blocks on remote machine over ssh

From: Andreas Leha
Subject: Re: [O] Executing org shell blocks on remote machine over ssh
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 22:01:16 +0000

Hi all,

Brady Trainor <address@hidden> writes:
> Ista Zahn <address@hidden> writes:
>
> [snip]
>> I guess I'm missing something (like why the OP want's to run a shell
>> in a separate window), but why not just
>>
>> #+BEGIN_SRC sh :results output :dir /ssh:lycastus:/home/bviren :session
>> *shell*
>>   /bin/pwd
>>   echo $HOSTNAME
>>   ls -l foo.sh
>>   echo "---"
>>   cat foo.sh
>>   echo "---"
>>   source ./foo.sh
>>   echo $FOO
>> #+END_SRC
>
> Tangentially related...
>
> *term* looks nice too (M-x term instead of M-x shell). This `term' is
> like a more literal terminal embedded in Emacs. Even key-bindings are
> hijacked. (Amusingly, readline utility gives bash some Emacs-like
> key-bindings.) In a stackoverflow question, it is pointed out that
> *term* versus *shell*, you miss out on features like isearch (C-s, C-r
> etc.). Then, switching around a lot is hindered, since C-x o
> (other-window) is hijacked (but the suggested windmove binding still
> works).

Well, if the code to be executed remotely is long running, I do not want
to assume the connection to last during the full execution of that code.
Hence, I am interested in sending code to a running tmux session.

One possibility is to have tmux attached from withing emacs' term.  This
might not work too well, unfortunately.  For instance, ess is currently
not able to talk properly to an R session running inside tmux inside
term (which is why I've given up on that idea for now).

Regards,
Andreas