Re: [O] Support for "parts"

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Support for "parts"
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 17:56:23 -0500

Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> just wondering: in LaTeX, there is a concept of a "part", which is above
> "chapter" in the hierarchy.  Is there any way to do something similar in
> Org?  To be more precise: I'd want something like this:
>
> \chapter{Introduction}
>
> \part{For beginners}
>
> \chapter{One}
> \chapter{Two}
>
> \part{For advanced users}
>
> \chapter{Three}
> \chapter{Four}
>

> I guess it's not possible, but who knows?  It's Org, after all;-).

Almost but not quite: as you say, \part is above \chapter in the
hierarchy, so you cannot have a separate introduction chapter outside a
part. But you can have three parts:

> \part{Introduction}
> \chapter{Introduction}
>
> \part{For beginners}
>
> \chapter{One}
> \chapter{Two}
>
> \part{For advanced users}
>
> \chapter{Three}
> \chapter{Four}

Just use the book class:

#+LATEX_CLASS: book

Then one-star headings become parts, two-star headings become chapters,
etc.

--
Nick