Re: [O] [Bug] org-indent-mode underindents body in variable-pitch-mode

From: Anders Johansson
Subject: Re: [O] [Bug] org-indent-mode underindents body in variable-pitch-mode
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 16:26:52 +0000 (UTC)

Anders Johansson <mejlaandersj <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Tobias Getzner <tobias.getzner <at> gmx.de> writes:
>

> > Hello,
> >
> > After updating to Emacs 24.4 and org-mode 20141020, I’ve noticed that
> > org-indent-mode now underindents item bodies when variable-pitch-mode is
> > fall successively short of the item’s respective indent level.
> >
> > * first
> > lorem
> > ** second
> > ipsum
> > *** third
> > etc.
> >
> > My last working version was 20140915 on Emacs 24.3.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Tobias
> >

> Hi,
> I'm experiencing the exact same problem. Debugging might be a little tricky
> if it involves changes in both Emacs and org.
>
> I think the problem depends on the text-properties wrap-prefix and
> line-prefix being set to a number of spaces and a number of stars,
> respectively, in headlines and only spaces in body text. When variable-pitch
> fonts don't have as wide stars as spaces we get a mismatch. But I don't know
> how this can have worked better before.
>
> Doesn't anyone else use variable-pitch-mode for org and suffer from this?
>
> Cheers,
> Anders Johansson

Hi again,
Ok, I have tracked it down a bit. It must be due to changes in Emacs outside
of org.
I tried with the combination Emacs 24.3.1 and org:
Org-mode version 8.2.10 (8.2.10-20-gaa65ac-elpa @
/home/aj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141124/)

There it works. But never in 24.4, regardless of org version.

How Emacs handles line-prefix and wrap-prefix must have changed in some way.
I don't know if that is a bug in Emacs or something org should accommodate
for though.

Cheers,
Anders Johansson

And then it worked.