Re: [O] [Bug] org-indent-mode underindents body in variable-pitch-mode

From: Anders Johansson
Subject: Re: [O] [Bug] org-indent-mode underindents body in variable-pitch-mode
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 15:21:16 +0000 (UTC)

Anders Johansson <mejlaandersj <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Anders Johansson <mejlaandersj <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

> > Tobias Getzner <tobias.getzner <at> gmx.de> writes:
> >

> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > After updating to Emacs 24.4 and org-mode 20141020, I’ve noticed that
> > > org-indent-mode now underindents item bodies when variable-pitch-mode is
> > > fall successively short of the item’s respective indent level.
> > >
> > > * first
> > > lorem
> > > ** second
> > > ipsum
> > > *** third
> > > etc.
> > >
> > > My last working version was 20140915 on Emacs 24.3.
> > >
> > > Kind regards,
> > > Tobias
> > >

> > Hi,
> > I'm experiencing the exact same problem. Debugging might be a little tricky
> > if it involves changes in both Emacs and org.
> >
> > I think the problem depends on the text-properties wrap-prefix and
> > line-prefix being set to a number of spaces and a number of stars,
> > respectively, in headlines and only spaces in body text. When variable-pitch
> > fonts don't have as wide stars as spaces we get a mismatch. But I don't know
> > how this can have worked better before.
> >
> > Doesn't anyone else use variable-pitch-mode for org and suffer from this?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Anders Johansson
> >

> Hi again,
> Ok, I have tracked it down a bit. It must be due to changes in Emacs outside
> of org.
> I tried with the combination Emacs 24.3.1 and org:
> Org-mode version 8.2.10 (8.2.10-20-gaa65ac-elpa  <at>
> /home/aj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141124/)
>
> There it works. But never in 24.4, regardless of org version.
>
> How Emacs handles line-prefix and wrap-prefix must have changed in some way.
> I don't know if that is a bug in Emacs or something org should accommodate
> for though.
>
> Cheers,
> Anders Johansson
>
> And then it worked.

Ok,

I'm quite sure this depends on the changes discussed here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2013-08/msg00776.html

which (as far as I understand it) means that wrap-prefix (and line-prefix?)
now uses the currently active face (or something like that) instead of
default. The "working" indent in variable-pitch-mode thus depended on
wrap-prefix and line-prefix having the "wrong" (default) face instead of the
variable-pitch face that is now used.

One workaround is to customize the face org-indent in some way to make it
roughly match the width of your stars:

(set-face-attribute 'org-indent nil :family "YOUR_DEFAULT_FAMILY")

This worked ok for me.
Just inheriting default didn't seem to work. I think that is overridden by
variable-pitch mode.

I don't know if this could be generalized in a good way that could be put
into org-mode since the desired width (or family) depends on each users
configuration.

One possibility could be if it would be possible to get the pixel-width of a
star in some way and then set line-prefix to a correct pixel-width (multiple
of this).

Cheers,
Anders Johansson