Re: [O] Not LaTeX now, trying to use org-mode

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Not LaTeX now, trying to use org-mode
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2014 14:48:12 -0500

Sharon Kimble <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm now starting to write a org-mode document in place of doing it
> in LaTeX, but its left me puzzled by some things, like -
>
> a) How do you make a paragraph, or even a sentence, italic? I've
> tried following the "org-mode manual" but that just shows it for
> single words.

See below.

> b) I am used to using "\gls{foo}" for having a glossary entry in the
> text, and referring to
> \newglossaryentry{foo}{name=foo,description=blah de blah}. But how
> do I do it in org-mode please?

Don't know. I don't think there is any glossary support in org, but
I could be wrong.

> c) How do I show an item as being selected to show in the index? In
> LaTeX its done using \index{foo}

#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{makeidx}
#+LATEX_HEADER: \makeindex

* foo

This
#+INDEX: item
item is going to end up in the index.

This /will be an italic sentence/.

Unfortunately, /italic paragraphs don't
quite work because too many newlines will stop the match/.

#+LATEX: \printindex

The #+INDEX: item gets translated to \index{item}, but you stil have to
do the rest of the index setup by hand as shown above (I hope it works:
I didn't try it). BTW, there is an easy template for inserting #+INDEX
lines: <i TAB. Check the org manual under "Easy templates" if you don't
know about them.

The italic paragraph spread over two lines will work, but if you spread
it over three lines, it won't. You can tweak this (and other emphasis
settings) by changing org-emphasis-regexp-components, but that's a
somewhat hazardous and error-prone process - search the list for more.

> d) Are there any tutorials, or good teaching web sites please?

Tom Dye's tutorial

   http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-latex-export.html

is still worth reading, but note that it is for the pre-8.0 exporter
so you have to take it with the appropriate grain of salt.

Nick