Re: [O] relative deadlines

From: Jeffrey Brent McBeth
Subject: Re: [O] relative deadlines
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 10:07:26 -0500

On Tue, Dec 09, 2014 at 10:36:52AM +0100, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Jeffrey Brent McBeth <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I have a python function that can take a stripped down org file and
> > places an active date after each #<block># (or inactive after
> > #[block]#), that I hacked up today to see if it would really be as
> > useful as I thought, but I keep thinking that someone somewhere must
> > have scratched this itch elsewhere, and having to partially parse org
> > in python and modify the text rather than having my agenda smart
> > enough to figure it out gives me pause...
>
> It sounds like over-engineering to me.

I very well may be.  A common fault of engineers :)

> I think it would be better to have a function shifting all timestamps in
> a subtree. It may even exist already. I cannot remember.

This is where I fall down.  I don't see how that meets my basic need case.

I know that certain sub tasks need to start 90 days before the final deadline
(for example), I can hand count back 90 days and then do the shifting of
timestamps, but then the core relevant information is lost of -90d.

I have a strong feeling that since my searches don't turn things up, that this
is a weird way in which I work rather than the rest of the subcommunity here;
so I do appreciate the kind feedback above, I am not yet convinced that I'm
insane :)

> > If nobody have better ideas, are the block delimiters I'm using going
> > to conflict with some other feature in org that I'm just not using
> > yet?
>
> I don't think so.

That is helpful.  I read through your wonderful syntax file looking for decent
delimeters that wouldn't be a pain to type, and I'm glad that there are no
obvious howlers for me.

Jeff

--
"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over
 the man who cannot read them."