Re: [O] demoting a heading inserts spaces in column-0 text

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] demoting a heading inserts spaces in column-0 text
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2014 12:33:16 +0100

Daniel Clemente <address@hidden> writes:

>   But these are technical details, not relevant to a non-programmer.

Which basically means nothing, because everything ultimately boils down
to technical details.

> What a new user sees with the default settings as of today is:

Aren't you confusing your expectations and new users'?

> - he writes a new tree and some text inside
> - he clocks in
> - he demotes the tree (shift+right) because he wants to change the tree
> structure. Result: his text also is modified

FUD. Neither the text nor its structure are modified. Only indentation
is. How it is done is explained in `org-adapt-indentation' docstring.

>   This breaks user's expectations. At least it breaks my expectations,

There we are.

> because in a logical tree of nodes, demoting does not mean „shift
> contents“.

Huh? "Citation needed".

> And I thought org was supposed not to break my content.

It also kills kittens, in the background.

>   I also lose controllability because I have no way to rearrange nodes
>   without side effects.

We might fix them. What are exactly these side-effects?

>   I suggest:
>
> 1. New default for org-adapt-indentation = 'partial, which shifts
> every line until the first line which starts at column 0. This may not
> shift all drawers in complex cases where you have them in the bottom
> of the tree; therefore it's called partial.

I'm not really against it, but this is really hackish and probably
surprising.

AFAICT, you erroneously think regular drawers are an Org internal
artifact whereas they are really meant for users. They should be
indented like their contents, no like planning info.

In any case, I'd favor a solution that takes into consideration the real
structure of the section.

> This is handling the most common cases.

Let's focus on your use case instead of a "most common case" we both
know very little about.

> 2. With org-adapt-indentation = 'partial, new lines added by org
> (:CLOCK: drawer, CLOCK lines etc) appear at the same column as the
> heading, not at column 0

This would be plain wrong. Indentation is relative to the element above.
Heading indentation is but the fallback value.

Regards,