Re: [O] Patch to implement sorting Org tables by IP address

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Patch to implement sorting Org tables by IP address
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 12:25:22 +0100

Jon Snader <address@hidden> writes:

> Well, I’m just going by what happens now. In org-do-sort, each of the
> sort options sets a different extraction function. For example, if you
> want a numeric sort, the extraction function calls string-to-number,
> while if you want an alphabetic sort it calls
> org-sort-remove-invisible. Really, this doesn’t matter because I was
> merely commenting on why (prompt . comparison) isn’t enough. Of
> course, you could roll any special extraction functionality into the
> comparison but I don’t really like that.

Then

  (prompt comparison extraction)

while still allowing

  (prompt comparison)

which would be a special case for

  (prompt comparison #'org-sort-remove-invisible)

> Anyway, what I was suggesting in my last post was that we duplicate
> the functionality of org-sort-list.

This what I initially suggested. However, I'm trying to see if a table
approach would ultimately be better.

> There, if you’re calling it programmatically you specify getkey-func
> and compare-func. If you call it interactively, it asks you for the
> extraction function (which must return a string or number) and it
> tests it to see which comparison function to use. I like this approach
> because it makes org-sort-list and org-table-sort-lines work the same
> way. What’s not to like?

The networking researcher will have to provide its sorting function each
time, which was one of your arguments.

Regards,