Re: [O] Hiring a programmer

From: Peter Davis
Subject: Re: [O] Hiring a programmer
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 17:00:28 -0500

Yuri Niyazov <address@hidden> writes:

> I'd like to hire a programmer to hack on some things in org-mode for
> my use. If these improvements are contributed back the main org-mode
> repository, would the copyright assignment have to come from me, or
> from the programmer?

It actually depends on the terms of hiring. In the U.S., a "work for
hire" contract means you own all rights to the results of the work, so
assigning rights to someone else would come from you.

Other arrangements are possible, and you can specify in the terms who
owns what rights, assuming your programmer agrees.

-pd