Re: [O] exporting zotxt or orgref links to HTML and ODF

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] exporting zotxt or orgref links to HTML and ODF
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 14:30:47 +0100

Hi,

Christian Moe <address@hidden> writes:

> I haven't yet announced it on the list, for three reasons. 1) Not very
> polished. There's some messy code, a poor man's user interface, and no
> editing support for multiple citations (but support for exporting
> them!). 2) It's part of a more ambitious project I set myself for an
> all-round citation system that I never got on with. 3) It uses this cool
> idea I had for how to use citation links differently, but it imposes
> certain syntax conventions on the user, and they may yet change in
> backward-incompatible ways if I develop this further.

I also have a very half-baked branch somewhere with preliminary code, but
mainly in terms of syntax/org-element (similar to pandoc).

IMO we /need/ to add proper citation support to Org, preferably with a
real syntax rather than these link-"solutions" and with good backend
support (bibtex & Zotero for starters, I guess).

#+begin_rant

The current state is a mess and not portable.  E.g. there's at least two
Zotero projects, there's John Kitchin's code, there's ox-bibtex.el (which
IMO is not suitable for complicated citation requirements), plus everyone
and their mother's have got custom citation links in their config via
custom org link types...

/Proper/ citation support (not links) is, IMO, the last thing that is
missing for good academic publishing support.

#+end_rant

—Rasmus

--
I hear there's rumors on the, uh, Internets. . .