Re: [O] exporting zotxt or orgref links to HTML and ODF

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] exporting zotxt or orgref links to HTML and ODF
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 08:09:16 -0500

There is a separation between the citation bits in an org-file (whether
they are org-links, or the pandoc format, etc...) and the formatted
bibliography. org-ref is really focused on providing functionality to
insert the citation keys (using reftex, or helm-bibtex right now, but
there are many other options that could do this like ebib, perhaps
zotxt, ido-completion, etc...), and references and labels. Then, once
the citations are in, org-ref provides functionality to see what is
cited, open the reference, pdf, search in scientific search engines,
other utilities, etc... I can imagine there being backend (bibtex,
ox-bibtex, zotero, ...) specific functions to do these things (usually
you have to get some information from the entry to act, like get a doi
to open a url, etc...).

The formatting of the bibliography is almost always done by a dedicated
program, e.g. bibtex, biblatex, or now in some cases pandoc. org-ref
just provides functionality to export org and transform the links into
the format required for those programs. If it were possible to figure
out how to insert zotero links in a docx, then zotero would take over to
make the bibliography in the docx. Ditto for mendeley, Endnote, Papers,
... The only exceptions to this are html where org-ref enables a crude
and limited export of the bibliography for blog posts. I am not
interested in having org-ref do much more than this, because the
dedicated tools do such a good job in my opinion, it isn't worth
duplicating the effort.