Re: [O] org-expiry not compatible with the new drawer syntax

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] org-expiry not compatible with the new drawer syntax
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 10:30:05 +0100

Hello,

Samuel Loury <address@hidden> writes:

> I just realized that when creating a new entry in my org-diary
> (`org-agenda-add-entry-to-org-agenda-diary-file'), the entry looks like:
>
> ** test
>   <2015-01-30 Fri>
>    :PROPERTIES:
>    :CREATED:  [2015-01-30 Fri 08:00]
>    :END:
>
> The property is added by an call to `org-expiry-insert-created' in the
> `org-insert-heading-hook'. see in contrib/lisp/org-expiry.el:179
>
> With more details:
>
> In the process in inserting the diary entry,
> `org-agenda-add-entry-to-org-agenda-diary-file'
> calls (lisp/org-agenda.el:9460)
> `org-agenda-insert-diary-as-top-level' (lisp/org-agenda.el:9479).
>
> The later then calls `org-insert-heading' (calling the org-expiry hook
> that creates the property drawer), and inserts the text of the heading
> followed by a new line, resulting in the insertion of:

Actually, AFAICT, the sole function calling `org-insert-heading' in
"org-agenda.el" is `org-agenda-insert-diary-make-new-entry'. I fixed it
so it properly puts point on the right spot in the entry.

Does it fix your issue?

> My opinion is that we should either consider that adding a property in
> `org-insert-heading-hook' is a bad practice or change the functions that
> create entries to make sure they move beyond a potentially created
> properties drawer before adding extra information such as timestamps.
>
> What is your opinion?

If a function calls on `org-insert-heading' and puts point in some
position for further processing, it should take into consideration
meta-data (i.e., planning info and properties drawer).

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou