Re: [O] save folded state

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [O] save folded state
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2015 12:50:04 +0000

Worth trying the buffer-invisibility-spec solution. I'd be interested to
know if it works or not. Although I wonder whether the commands that you
are using really should be obeying visibility context.

Phil

John Kitchin <address@hidden> writes:
> yes, I meant programatically. I was having some issue in selecting
> contex using commands that grab what is visible. So for things inside a
> folded section it was not grabbing the right context.
>
> I solved it by doing something similar to what you describe, i.e. a
> tempbuffer.
>
> lentic looks pretty interesting.
>
> Phillip Lord writes:
>
>> You mean programmatically? Is folding not just implemented with
>> invisible overlays? If so, why do you need to change this to get
>> context?
>>
>> You can try setting buffer-invisibility-spec temporarily. For example,
>> run this function in a folded org-mode buffer.
>>
>> (defun temp ()
>>   (interactive)
>>   (message "invisibility spec stuff")
>>   (let ((buffer-invisibility-spec '()))
>>     (message "sitting")
>>     (sit-for 5))
>>   (message "done"))
>>
>> It unfolds everything but having the display engine ignore all
>> overlays/text properties.
>>
>> If you want to do this interactively, and you will forgive the plug, my
>> own package, lentic, would enable you to do this. You can open up a
>> second buffer which has the same text as the first, but could be folded
>> completely independently of the original. At the moment, you only get
>> one copy, but I'll expand that to any number at some point. When you're
>> finished kill the copy, and all the changed folding goes with it.
>>
>> Phil
>>

>> John Kitchin <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I am trying to map over a buffer with headlines in various states of
>>> folded, and get context around certain elements. I find I need to fully
>>> expand the buffer to get the context in the way I am currently doing it
>>> (e.g. getting the lines around the element), but I would like to put the
>>> buffer back to the way it was when I am finished. This is not done with
>>> the usual macros like save-excursion, save-restriction, etc... Is there
>>> a way to do this other than a temp buffer?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Professor John Kitchin
>>> Doherty Hall A207F
>>> Department of Chemical Engineering
>>> Carnegie Mellon University
>>> Pittsburgh, PA 15213
>>> 412-268-7803
>>> @johnkitchin
>>> http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu
>
> --
> Professor John Kitchin
> Doherty Hall A207F
> Department of Chemical Engineering
> Carnegie Mellon University
> Pittsburgh, PA 15213
> 412-268-7803
> @johnkitchin
> http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

--
Phillip Lord,                           Phone: +44 (0) 191 208 7827
Lecturer in Bioinformatics,             Email: address@hidden