Re: [O] Citations, continued

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] Citations, continued
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 12:00:06 +0000

On Tuesday,  3 Feb 2015 at 11:35, Rasmus wrote:

[...]

I'm enjoying following this thread.  I look forward to the community
converging on some solution.

For me, any solution will likely do just fine as my use of citations is
quite straightforward.  I seldom, if ever, have pre or post text but I
do use a couple of alternative citation types (author, year; year only).

I have only one suggestion to keep in mind:

>>> What happens when a field is undefined?
>>
>> I guess I would suggest the same thing as happens in LaTeX: you get a
>> nice, bold "??" in the output where the missing data should be.
>
> Or better, throw an error.

A *warning* would be better than an error, i.e. something that does
indicate a problem but that doesn't stop the export completing.  LaTeX
does this (as noted above).

When writing long articles, I often have dangling references which I
don't resolve until later.  I don't want to interrupt the writing part
(i.e. the creative process) by getting caught up in bookkeeping.  It's
sometimes hard enough to just get started... ;-)

Interestingly, I have just had a paper accepted for publication which
was written *entirely* in org.  I used the [[cite:fraga-etal-2014]]
approach for handling citations.  The paper made significant use of
babel to have everything in one place (data, code, results).  Very
pleasing and painless experience.  I did have to resort to LaTeX
specific commands a few times but mostly for the preamble (title,
authors, etc.).  I would share the org file except that it has
proprietary data.

thanks,
eric
--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.4.1, Org release_8.3beta-727-ga1cdc6.dirty