Re: [O] Citations, continued

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Citations, continued
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 12:20:20 +0100

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> The question:
>
>      In any given document, do you typically need more than two types of
>      citations, i.e. {citet, citep} OR {textcite, parentcite}?
>
> I do use other citation types, in particular a genitive version of
> textcite, but not very often.  That was why I initially wanted something
> like this:
>
> simple  inline:         @KEY
> complex inline:         [PRE @KEY POST :key VAL]
>         parent:         (PRE @KEY POST :key VAL)
>
> Where :type was the only key I was clever enough to think about (heavily
> biased by LaTeX).  Then you would be able to put in the top of your
> document what "inline" and that "parent" means.  Note, as Nicolas rightly
> pointed out that (ยท) shouldn't be used for syntax, so the above is to
> understand needs.  In any case, if you, or Eric, or anybody else for that
> matter, often rely on much more than two types of citations in any given
> document perhaps this is better:
>
>       [TYPE: PRE @KEY POST :key VAL]
>
> :key VAL may not be needed at all (but e.g. the new cool
> \textcites()()[][]{} commands have even more arguments).  That's
> essentially the "generalized link" you were talking about earlier.

This is an important issue indeed.

It seems to me that :type is a LaTeX-only feature and, as such, should
be handled in "ox-latex". In the general case, I think that Org should
only support inline and parenthesized citations.

If more than two different keys are needed in a single document, use of
custom links or raw LaTeX would then be unavoidable. OTOH, this gives us
very readable citations within the buffer in most cases.