Re: [O] Citations, continued

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] Citations, continued
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 12:37:01 +0100

> Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> The question:
>>
>>      In any given document, do you typically need more than two types of
>>      citations, i.e. {citet, citep} OR {textcite, parentcite}?
>>
>> I do use other citation types, in particular a genitive version of
>> textcite, but not very often.  That was why I initially wanted something
>> like this:
>>
>> simple  inline:         @KEY
>> complex inline:         [PRE @KEY POST :key VAL]
>>         parent:         (PRE @KEY POST :key VAL)
>>
>> Where :type was the only key I was clever enough to think about (heavily
>> biased by LaTeX).  Then you would be able to put in the top of your
>> document what "inline" and that "parent" means.  Note, as Nicolas rightly
>> pointed out that (·) shouldn't be used for syntax, so the above is to
>> understand needs.  In any case, if you, or Eric, or anybody else for that
>> matter, often rely on much more than two types of citations in any given
>> document perhaps this is better:
>>
>>       [TYPE: PRE @KEY POST :key VAL]
>>
>> :key VAL may not be needed at all (but e.g. the new cool
>> \textcites()()[][]{} commands have even more arguments).  That's
>> essentially the "generalized link" you were talking about earlier.
>
> This is an important issue indeed.
>
> It seems to me that :type is a LaTeX-only feature and, as such, should
> be handled in "ox-latex". In the general case, I think that Org should
> only support inline and parenthesized citations.

Not necessarily.  I could do:

   (defun rasmus/gentive-citation (citation-element backend)
          (case backend ...) ...)

   (add-to-list 'org-cite-types 'rasmus/gentive-citation )

E.g. for genitive citations such as "Smith's (1984) model", which can be
mostly emulated using primitives (:author and :year) if biblatex is not
available.

> If more than two different keys are needed in a single document, use of
> custom links or raw LaTeX would then be unavoidable. OTOH, this gives us
> very readable citations within the buffer in most cases.

Perhaps.  But then we are back at not having proper support across
backends—which might be unavoidable in any case.  Yet, aim high!

—Rasmus

--
Tack, ni svenska vakttorn. Med plutonium tvingar vi dansken på knä!