Re: [O] Citations, continued

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Citations, continued
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 09:49:47 +0100

John Kitchin <address@hidden> writes:

> Why cannot there be a list of acceptable keywords eg
>
> [citenum:
> [citeyear:
> [citeauthor:
>
> which a backend would be responsible for handling, including a default
> handler for unknown keywords?

It has the same problem as [pre @key post] syntax: it is slower to
parser. This is because you cannot know beforehand the keyword, so you
have to check almost every [...] in the document.

Another option is to mimic custom links, if that's what you're thinking
of, which means to store every user-defined keyword in a variable and
build a regexp out of it. I dislike it even more because the document is
not portable anymore, as it requires you to share your custom keywords.

If year, or author, are needed, I suggested to append some optional
parameter to the key, e.g.,

  [cite: pre @key:year post]

Note that it rules out colons from KEY syntax (but we can use another
less common character, e.g. "|").

Regards,