Re: [O] Citations, continued

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] Citations, continued
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 10:20:45 +0100

> Another option is to mimic custom links, if that's what you're thinking
> of, which means to store every user-defined keyword in a variable and
> build a regexp out of it. I dislike it even more because the document is
> not portable anymore, as it requires you to share your custom keywords.

So, the (opinionated) useful defaults in biblatex are:
    cite(s), parencite(s), footcite(s), texcite(s), fullcite,
    footfullcite, nocite

Citation types for extracting parts:
     citeauthor, citetitle, citeyear, citedate, citeurl,

>From natbib:
    citet (== textcite), citep (== parencite).

Keys I don't care about, since they are quite biblatex specific:
    smartcite, autocide, parentcite*, uppercase variants. *volcites(s) (any
objections?)

In natbib:
   citealt, citalp, starred variants

So that's 17 support keys and two aliases.  I guess this would deter most
authors from needing custom styles.

> Note that it rules out colons from KEY syntax (but we can use another
> less common character, e.g. "|").

The default bibtex.el style generates keys like "%A%y:%t", so I think ":"
is no good, appealing as it is.

—Rasmus

Footnotes:
¹   which is just