Re: [O] ODT export: Issues with `org-export-footnote-first-reference-p'

From: Vaidheeswaran C
Subject: Re: [O] ODT export: Issues with `org-export-footnote-first-reference-p'
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 13:20:33 +0530

On Thursday 12 February 2015 12:49 PM, Thomas S. Dye wrote:
Aloha Vaidheeswaran,

This is an odd example that I don't recall having seen in any
publication.  I don't doubt examples might exist, but don't remember
having seen one.  Can you point me to a real-world example of a footnote
referring to a subsequent footnote that I might reference either on-line
or in my local library?

I am OCRing this book:
http://wenshuchan-online.weebly.com/uploads/9/4/8/2/9482304/chan-and-zen-teachingpdf.pdf. This book is atleast 50 years old.

You can find the converted files here:
https://archive.org/details/TheDiamondCutterOfDoubts

The actual text extract goes something as below. I am attaching the scanned image of the book in question.

------------------------

# page 159

Now they saw uncountable and limitless numbers of living beings in the
universe[fn:145-1] and wondered when all these beings could be saved
and how they could obtain the Buddha fruit since the universe would
never be emptied of these beings.

# page 169

#+BEGIN_QUOTE

'Subhuti, what do you think? If someone filled the Universe[fn:155-4]
with the seven treasures[fn:155-5] and gave them all as alms, would
his merit be great?’

Subhuti replied: 'Very great, World Honoured One. Why? Because this
merit is not the nature of merit, the Tathagata says it is
great.’[fn:155-6]

‘Subhuti, if on the other hand, someone received and kept even a four
line stanza of this sutra and expounded it to others, his merit would
surpass that (of the giver of treasures). Why? (Because), Subhuti, all
Buddhas and their Supreme-Enlightenment-Dharma originate from this
sutra. Subhuti, the so-called Buddhas and Dharmas are not real Buddhas
and Dharmas.'[fn:155-7]

#+END_QUOTE

[fn:145-1] Literally ‘the great trichiliocosm’. See footnote 4, p. 169.[fn:155-4]

[fn:155-4] Tri-sahasra-maha-sahasra-loka-dhatu=a great
trichiliocosm. Mt. Sumeru and its seven surrounding continents, eight
seas and ring of iron mountains form one small world; 1,000 of these
form a small chiliocosm; 1,000 of these small chiliocosms form a
medium chiliocosm; 1,000 of these form a great chiliocosm, which
consists of 1,000,000,000 small worlds. The word ‘universe’ is used
for convenience sake.

All the best,
Tom