Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 12:57:23 +0100

0

Parts I like:

   1) a parenthetical citation for a single work with no prefix and
      suffix may be written by just surrounding the key with brackets,
      like: address@hidden
   2) an in-text citation for a single work with no prefix and suffix
      may be written as a /bare/ key, without brackets, like: @Doe99.

I recently cracked up something similar for a paper we are working on, and
I think it's nice.  I have yet to get the verdict from my coauthor,
though.

Parts that I don't care for:

     [cite: whatever (@Doe99) whatever]

Not intuitive to me, but I could get used to it.

Parts I hate:

    The flag is either `@' or `&'.  `@' [...] The optional hyphen (`-')

Too many weird symbols that I won't be able to remember, much less explain
to somebody else.

Just too odd.  Extensibilty should not be delegated to some weird
construct outside of the element in question.

—Rasmus

--

A page of history is worth a volume of logic