Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal

From: Richard Lawrence
Subject: Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 08:59:05 -0800

Hi Nicolas,

> Time for another crazy idea. Last one on my side for today
>
>   [cite ...] [(cite) ...] [Cite ...] [(Cite) ...]
>
> It should solve the :capitalize issue.

I am OK with this if it is important, though I am a little hesitant.

In the last thread, you expressed concern that we not have too much
variation after the opening `[' for performance reasons, which is why I
kept all the (non-simple) citations to `[cite: ...]'.

Unless you have changed your mind, I assume this means we should try not
to have very many options for this position.  Expressing capitalization
here would mean there are now four options, two of which are devoted to
expressing capitalization.  Is capitalization important enough to
introduce the complexity for it at *this* crucial syntactic position?
If we're trying to keep the number of variants after `[' low, we should
think carefully about what is important enough to go there.  (I think
parenthetical vs. in-text does meet that bar, but I am not sure
special-case capitalization does.)

Aesthetically, this feels a little *too* much like BibLaTeX to me.  I
would actually prefer [cite: @vanOrden60] %%(:capitalize t) or
[cite: @vanOrden60]{:capitalize t}.  But like I said, I'm fine with this
if it's important.

Best,