Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal

From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
Subject: Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 14:19:00 -0500

Stefan Nobis writes:

address@hidden (Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo) writes:
From what I read in this and the previous thread, the new proposal tries more or less to reimplement BibTeX in org.

No, that's wrong, not the database should be replaced. The goal is to make citations a first class citizen in the org world (so no fallback to LaTeX commands or links with special handlings are needed).

I see, so in the examples provided Doe99 is only the key, org would not have to know that the author name is Doe and its year is 1999, or any other information about the citation. I thought it was more or less the equivalent of implementing natbib (http://merkel.zoneo.net/Latex/natbib.php) in org, a way to decide if I wanted textual, parenthesis or numerical citations, and thus you would have to go to the process of determining what information each citation needs, for example: an article always has an author, a book always has a publisher, but a book can have an author or an editor if each chapter has a different author, that kind of thing, among many other complicated things. Sorry for the noise.

But now it is not clear to me what the actual org reference points to. If it is the actual reference, I mean the article's PDF or URL, what would you do when you need to cite a physical book? Also in this case you will not be able to produce a proper bibliography when exporting since the key cannot contain all the information needed. Now if the reference points to be entry for that reference in a database, isn't there a lot of compatibility problems if one uses one type of database vs another? Again here you will not be able to produce the bibliography when exporting

--
Jorge.