Re: [O] [RFC] Simplify `org-show-context' configuration

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Simplify `org-show-context' configuration
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 18:15:44 -0500

Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
> As explained in its commit message, the following patch is an attempt at
> simplifying `org-show-context' configuration by offering a set of
> 5 predefined views to choose from instead of setting 4 different
> variables (`org-show-following-heading', `org-show-siblings',
> `org-show-entry-below' and `org-show-hierarchy-above'). These views are
>
>   minimal        show current headline, and entry below if needed
>   local          show current headline, entry below and next headline
>   lineage        show direct ancestors and all siblings of current headline;
>                  show entry only if required
>   canonical      show direct ancestors and all of their siblings; show entry
>                  only if required
>   full           show direct ancestors, all their siblings and entry
[...]
> I think this is enough, but I can add more views if needed.
>
> WDYT?

I prefer this to the old setup.  From a configuration standpoint, it's
much nicer to have all the relevant information in one variable.

[...]
> +As a special case, a nil (respectively t) value means
> +`minimal' (respectively `full') detail level for all contexts.

Minor: It took me some extra effort to parse this sentence because I'm
not used to seeing 'respectively' used in this way.  I think something
like below is more common.

  As special cases, a nil or t value means show all contexts in
  `minimal' or `full' view, respectively.

[...]
>  (defun org-reveal (&optional siblings)
>    "Show current entry, hierarchy above it, and the following headline.
> -This can be used to show a consistent set of context around locations
> -exposed with `org-show-hierarchy-above' or `org-show-following-heading'
> -not t for the search context.
> +
> +This can be used to show a consistent set of context around
> +locations exposed with `org-show-context'.
>
>  With optional argument SIBLINGS, on each level of the hierarchy all
>  siblings are shown.  This repairs the tree structure to what it would

Does a single C-u serve a purpose anymore?

--
Kyle