Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal

From: Richard Lawrence
Subject: Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 19:38:57 -0800

Hi Rasmus,

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Richard Lawrence <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Basically, I think you could ignore the distinctions that the [cite:
>> ...] syntax is capable of expressing, and just write all your citations
>> like:
>>
>>   [cite: See @Doe99 for more on this point.] %%(:type footnoted)
>>
>> You would then use an export filter to transform citations with this
>> :type into the appropriate command, something along the lines of:
>
> This seems backward and wrong /to me/.  Why not global options?  I
> actually think we "agreed" on this earlier.
>
> #+cite: text-cite
> #+(cite): parenthesis-cite
>
> Or
>
> #+cite: numeric
> #+(cite): footnote-cite
>
> This is why I asked Tom earlier if he normally uses more than two citation
> TYPES.  Presumably citeauthor and citeyear works irrespective of the main
> citation type.  So I still think that having two TYPES handy will meet
> most requirements.

That may be so.  But surely it is at least conceivable that more than
three types will be used in a document (say, mostly textcite and
parencite, with a few footfullcites sprinkled in); and Tom's concern was
that he doesn't want to have to worry about which parts of the syntax of
a citation he has to change to effect a change from one type to another.

So, if this approach doesn't seem right to you, don't do it that way.
The point is just that Tom's style of working is possible to achieve in
this syntax.  Hopefully, yours is too, though it may be quite different.

Best,
Richard