Re: [O] [ox, patch] external compilation

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] [ox, patch] external compilation
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 14:23:04 +0100

> Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> That's more or less what I do cf. the first post, namely
>>
>> # Local Variables:
>> # eval:  (unless noninteractive (load-file "org-conf.el"))
>> # End:
>>
>> [Which gives me the annoying prompt].
>
> The solution I gave you doesn't prompt anything.

You are right.  So yours (slightly) better.

>> With the dependency specified in an #+INIT or #+PREAMBLE or #+LISP-SETUP
>> or whatever. For the sake of making ox export for arbitrary $1 " as easy
>> as latex".  (Even better would be a dedicated binary: "ox --latex $1").
>>
>> I don't know if it's a security issue, and if you don't see a benefit from
>> the above, I won't push further.
>
> I don't see the point of adding a feature that will _only_ benefit to
> other editors than Emacs.

It also makes it easier for Emacs users.  I compile org with a Makefile
sometimes.

> Also, I have trouble understanding why you would need to switch init
> file per document, instead of using, e.g., #+SETUPFILE.

The document is shared between a couple of people.  My init.el is
opinionated and > 3000 lines and only assumes Emacs-git.  It would be a
distraction to circulate it for this purpose.

By having a separate init file I ensure stability and coherency, hopefully
also across time.  For the same reason, I copy bib entries from my
"global" lit.bib to a project lit.bib.

Why not #+SETUP: 'Cause I also define filters, links,
org-latex-package-alist etc.  I even use a separate "org-cite" library.

> To solve a portability issue, which is a related problem, then you don't
> want to change init file for a give Org document, but instead attach it
> to fixed set-up.

Even better.  And more ambitious!

> We could work it out by defining a new file format ".borg" (for Bundled
> Org) containing both the init file and the document, in a compressed
> directory (created, e.g., with `org-assimilate').

Hmm, I guess that would be nice.  Do you have like a tar in mind?  Would
.borg be tar since it contains both "libraries" and a document?

Unless we can somehow sandbox execution I guess it holds the same security
issues as a #+INIT?

BTW: If it can hold libraries, this could solve another pity: manually
copying ox-koma-letter.el to vanilla Emacs setups.

—Rasmus

--
Enough with the bla bla!