Re: [O] control tangling from section header

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] control tangling from section header
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 15:54:31 +0100

Daniele Pizzolli <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello Ken,
>
> Ken Mankoff writes:
>
>> I'm working with my literate init file (emacs.org), and would like to
>> have certain sections not tangle. I currently do this with ":tangle no"
>> at the SRC block level. Is it possible to control tangling with tags at
>> the header level?
>
> Not with tag but with PROPERTIES:
>
> * outline header
>   :PROPERTIES:
>   :header-args: :tangle no
>   :END:
>
> More at
> http://orgmode.org/manual/Header-arguments-in-Org-mode-properties.html

This is what I would do as well.

>> It would make it much easier to disable/enable sections, and see what
>> sections are enabled/disabled, if the tangling state were more clearly
>> visible like tags are.
>
> I do not think that this is currently possible.

I haven't tried, but maybe one could use org-babel-pre-tangle-hook or
org-export-before-parsing-hook, depending on the context, to set/update
properties based on tags.

For an init file the timing might matter.  I don't know how init.org
works, but presumably there's a "ignite.el" that starts the init process
using init.org?

—Rasmus

--
Need more coffee. . .