Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 10:56:58 +0100

Samuel Wales <address@hidden> writes:

>> If you don't allow a generalized link to follow a
>> user-specified λs then you don't have a flexible syntax
>> that you expressed desire for above.  You'd still have to
>> wait for somebody "upstream" to develop [color-start:⋯].
>
> not sure why you are talking about links.

'Cause [type/subtype: whaterver]{:key val} or [type/subtype:
whaterver :key val] is like links, only meant to operate as functions,
treating data.  Much like links are used, making the description part
rather annoying at times...

> you can write color-start as a user.  you can even define a
> feature that requires a lambda: $[rasmus-color-start (lambda
> (x) (rasmus-stuff))].  or $[rasmus-color ...].
>
> but if we are going to define citations with this syntax,
> then we can do so strictly.  no need for lambda.

Consider:

        [cite/color-me-pink:this will be pink]

The subtype is color-me-pink.  Color-me-pink is a user-written function (a
λ).  E.g.

     (add-to-cite-types "color-me-pink" (lambda (cite) (my/pink cite)))

Note that this example can already be implemented via macros.

> maybe you are saying that you don't think it's a good idea
> to allow other first atoms.  not sure why.

No.  I would be thrilled about that.  It would be much better than links
for most purposes.

But it's a different issue.

> also, those adjectives are up to the developers.

Agreed.

—Rasmus

--
Hooray!