Re: [O] What to use for tables with lengthy text in cells?

From: Charles C. Berry
Subject: Re: [O] What to use for tables with lengthy text in cells?
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 15:16:52 -0800

On Mon, 2 Mar 2015, Matt Price wrote:

I have a project which will require me to enter about a paragraph in each
of 5 fields several times a day. I would use org tables, but I need to be
able to see the table contents in the buffer, and org hides long lines. I
tried using table.el but it feels incredibly clumsy - for instance, I can't
find a way to add a row to the end of the table, which seems crazy.

I am wondering  what other people do in this situation - I guess I could
use a spreadsheet or an odt document but I would much rather stay in emacs
if I can.

I sometimes use babel blocks for this purpose.

For example, with ob-org.el loaded, with this org file:

#+NAME: abc
#+BEGIN_SRC org :exports none
  This is chunk ~abc~.
#+END_SRC

Formatting via ascii:
#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :var x=abc() :exports results
(org-export-string-as x 'ascii t)
#+END_SRC

And plainly: call_abc()

export via ascii yields:

Formatting via ascii:
,----
| This is chunk `abc'.
`----

And plainly: `This is chunk ~abc~.'

You can also use the noweb idiom to capture the contents of
any kind of src block.

HTH,

Chuck