Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal

From: Aaron Ecay
Subject: Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2015 14:12:54 +0000

Hi Richard,

2015ko martxoak 3an, Richard Lawrence-ek idatzi zuen:

> Aaron Ecay <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> It would also be possible to just use an external program like
>> citeproc-java.  WDYT?
>
> I agree with Rasmus that using an external tool is the preferred way to
> go here.  I don't think introducing a dependency is really a problem, so
> long as we choose the right dependency -- LaTeX is a dependency for the
> PDF exporter, after all.

OK, I’m satisfied that there is good rationale for using an external
tool.  This will make some things a lot easier.

> Is there any reason to go with citeproc-java over a different CSL
> implementation, like citeproc-js or pandoc-citeproc?  I am a little
> nervous about shelling out to something that sounds it like it requires

citeproc-java has a bibtex parser; citeproc-js doesn’t.  (The simplest
of many reasons.)

I looked at pandoc-citeproc, but it seems tightly integrated with
pandoc’s internal JSON representation, and not as flexible for general
purpose usage as citeproc-(js,java).

> I think Zotero also has a built-in CSL processor (actually, I think it
> uses citeproc-js), and Erik Hetzner's zotxt plugin looks like it lets
> you communicate with it in client-server fashion:
>
> https://bitbucket.org/egh/zotxt/src
>
> So maybe Zotero + zotxt is a good candidate for a `blessed' citation
> manager and CSL processor?

Requiring a running zotero seems worse to me than requiring the JVM.  I
guess it should be an option, but probably not the default.

--
Aaron Ecay