Re: [O] Bug: org-preview-latex-fragment fails to render in remote files

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: org-preview-latex-fragment fails to render in remote files (TRAMP) [8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @ /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.4/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/org/)]
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 18:11:13 -0500

Dustin Paluch <address@hidden> writes:

> Here's what DOES WORK:
>
> Open a local org file, type in a latex fragment like "\[1 + 2 = 3\]",
> then hit C-c C-x C-l. The fragment is replaced with a png as expected.
>

> Here's what DOESN'T WORK:
>
> Open a remote org file via C-x C-f /ssh:address@hidden:/path/to/file.org RET,
> enter the same latex fragment, and issue the same
> org-preview-latex-fragment command. The fragment will be replaced with a
> blank square. Here is a gif:
>
> http://i.imgur.com/Bb2vgWu.gif
>
> HOWEVER! The image IS created on the remote filesystem in the adjacent
> ltxpng folder as expected.
>
> (First time sending mail from Emacs. I hope this works...)
(it did :-) )

That's not a problem with org, it's a problem with images: try executing
the following two calls (with paths appropriate to your environment of
course):

(insert-image
'(image :type png :file "/scp:remote:/tmp/foo.png" :ascent center))

(insert-image
'(image :type png :file "/tmp/foo.png" :ascent center))

and you'll see the same behaviour. Try reporting it as a bug in emacs.

Nick