Re: [O] Bleeding edge in elpa

From: Nikolai Weibull
Subject: Re: [O] Bleeding edge in elpa
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 18:24:23 +0100

On Sun, Mar 8, 2015 at 3:17 PM, Aaron Ecay <address@hidden> wrote:

> IMO this is a bad idea.  The bleeding edge version is expected to be
> somewhat unstable, and exposing it via ELPA will lead to foot-shooting
> incidents.

Is trying to manage it via git+make oneself less likely to cause incidents?

>From the FAQ:

The master branch of the git repository always contains the bleeding
edge development code. This is important for Org's fast development,
because code on master gets checked out by many people daily and we
quickly receive bug reports if something is wrong. On rare occasions,
this code may not function perfectly for a limited time while we are
trying to fix things. It is therefore recommended to keep a known-good
version of org-mode installed outside the source tree and always run
the full test suite before using a new version from master.

> On the other hand, it would be nice to have more regular releases from
> master to maint.  AFAIK the last one was a year and a half ago (Org
> 8.2).  However, this has traditionally required a lot of effort from
> Bastien and others, so it’s not a simple case of “wishing will make it
> so”.

The more time that passes between releases, the harder it is to
release a new version.

And as this is the case here, having easy access to the latest
“version” would lessen the effect of this.  It would also allow more
people to find bugs.