Re: [O] Citation syntax: Underscore MUST(?) be allowed in cite keys?

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] Citation syntax: Underscore MUST(?) be allowed in cite keys?
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2015 18:49:37 +0100

address@hidden (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

Bibtex.el is not that hard to configure.  I think I have something like
this to configure FIRSTAUTHOR-YY (without the hyphen):

  (setq bibtex-autokey-titlewords 0
        bibtex-autokey-titlewords-stretch 0
        bibtex-autokey-titleword-length 0
        bibtex-autokey-edit-before-use nil)

But this only works on new keys and I wouldn't want "old" .bib file not
working.

> At this point I think the benefit of citation shortcuts is relatively
> modest and the limitation of requiring authors to ensure keys don't end
> in punctuation potentially onerous.  On balance, I think strong
> consideration should be given to the option of not using shortcuts.

But Org is also a format.  I have for instance written limited Org support
for texworks.

For people who do not have the luxury of using Emacs easy syntax matters.
Personally, I think the benefit of short citations is large.

I think allowing different characters if the least bad solution.  Inline
footnotes are also limited compared to footnote-definitions, so perhaps it
is not that bad...

—Rasmus

--
Bang bang