Re: [O] Citation syntax: Underscore MUST(?) be allowed in cite keys?

From: Stefan Nobis
Subject: Re: [O] Citation syntax: Underscore MUST(?) be allowed in cite keys?
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 10:49:45 +0100

Vaidheeswaran C <address@hidden> writes:

> On Monday 09 March 2015 02:27 PM, Stefan Nobis wrote:

>> IMHO keys with lots of ??? in them are a sign of a data problem.
>> Therefore the author should solve the root cause.

> Not in the specific case that I cited. The Bib entry is a pointer to
> a website.

I would say, even a website needs a date (in this case: date last
seen). :)

IMHO here you are mixing two different things: We already talked about
direct support for Zotero as a backend, CSL etc. Therefore exporting
to bibtex is not a requirement. If you use bibtex as the primary
source and Zotero only as a tool to fetch references from the web,
then its easy to edit the key in bibtex.

Maybe the best way is to add a new export module to Zotero for even
better org integration and handle correct keys in this module?

IMHO it's the job of the citation manager to generate sane keys, not
the job of org to accept arbitrary keys.

> If you had shared how I can configure Zotero to leave out the
> question marks that would have been the most helpful comment from
> your side.

I'm not a Zotero expert, I even don't use it. But with a quick look at
Google I found this:

  http://curiousjason.com/zoterotobibtex.html

(in the Firefox profile there is a configuration file
zotero/translators/BibTeX.js that needs to be edited; the above source
is from 2010 - maybe today there is a GUI to edit this setting).

--
Until the next mail...,
Stefan.