Re: [O] Citation syntax: Underscore MUST(?) be allowed in cite keys?

From: Richard Lawrence
Subject: Re: [O] Citation syntax: Underscore MUST(?) be allowed in cite keys?
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 11:50:45 -0700

Hi Tom and all,

"Thomas S. Dye" <address@hidden> writes:

> The problem is limited to the shortcut citations and doesn't affect the
> [cite: ...] form, which can be expected to work without modification
> wherever it is placed IIUC.

Actually, it occurs to me now that this might even affect the [cite:
...] form, depending on how you use the prefix and suffix text.

Suppose you often write citations like:

  [cite: See @Doe99, and references therein, for more.]

For readability's sake, I would hope this would be parsed by default as:
  - prefix: 'See '
  - key: 'Doe99'
  - suffix: ', and references therein, for more.'

and rendered like:

  See Doe (1999), and references therein, for more.

I can imagine similar cases at least for periods, colons, and
semi-colons (though those would have to be written as entities here), so
maybe we cannot avoid this problem just by changing or removing the
shortcut syntax.

Best,
Richard