Re: [O] Citation syntax: Underscore MUST(?) be allowed in cite keys?

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] Citation syntax: Underscore MUST(?) be allowed in cite keys?
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 01:37:23 +0100

Richard Lawrence <address@hidden> writes:

> Oh dear, you're right.  Where do that initial comma and space come from?
> I guess BibLaTeX inserts them automatically?  Does that happen in all
> styles?

The default value is determined by \postnotedelim.  So assuming spaces not
stripped \renewcommand{\postnotedelim}{} would probably work in most
cases.  More fancily one could check the next space like xspace.  There's
a mighty cool example using higher level functions here:

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/125358/automating-processing-of-trailing-punctuation-if-any-for-hyperlinks

> From what I can see, Pandoc does not implicitly insert punctuation like
> this:
>
>   As @Fenner2012a [, cf. sec. 2] showed ...
>
> renders as
>
>   As Fenner (2012, cf. sec. 2) showed ...

I prefer the biblatex behavior then.

> Can you turn off the automatic addition of commas in BibLaTeX by setting
> something in the preamble?

Preamble or using \AtNextCite

> If so, would that be the right solution here?  It might be easier to
> remove punctuation on the LaTeX side than to get other backends to
> duplicate LaTeX's implicit punctuating behavior.

Perhaps.  Either looks like the famous can of worms.  I guess we should
promote the option above in the manual and that's it.

--
However beautiful the theory, you should occasionally look at the evidence