Re: [O] [proposal] timezone-aware timestamps enhancement

From: Ken Mankoff
Subject: Re: [O] [proposal] timezone-aware timestamps enhancement
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 14:09:31 -0400

On 2015-03-18 at 12:33, Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wednesday, 18 Mar 2015 at 10:13, Randomcoder wrote:
>> Currently, AFAIK when scheduling something in Org-Mode, the timestamp
>> doesn't have a timezone.
>
> there is no specific solution unfortunately.  Having spent a year living
> and working across time zones, I was unable to find a good
> solution.

I have a solution that works quite well outside of Org. Apple Calendar supports
timezones plus a "floating" option.

I use Org for all my floating events - local to the computer and me, whatever
TZ we're in. I haven't found a way to put TZ-specific events into Org.

If scheduling a Skype with someone in NZ, I enter it in iCal at the NZ time in
the NZ timezone. Org pulls in my iCal events. Then wherever I am when that
event happens, I get the alert at the correct time. Most things are local to
me, so I use "floating" and stay in Org.

  -k.