Re: [O] fontenc makes pdf non-searchable

From: Stefan Nobis
Subject: Re: [O] fontenc makes pdf non-searchable
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 18:10:55 +0100

address@hidden (J. David Boyd) writes:

> And how did you determine that please?

I assume you mean how I determined that the PDF has been produced by
dvips and Ghostscript. In this case: I've just looked into the
document information of the PDF file. For example with Acrobat Reader
I just press CMD+D, with Apple Preview its CMD+I (look out in the
menus for document information or properties).

In this document information there is somewhere a line like "PDF
creator". If the PDF is created with pdftex or pdflatex, this line
should read something like "pdfTeX-1.40.15".

Each PDF viewer shows a different degree of details about the file.
For example with Apple Preview I do not see the used fonts, these are
only shown by Acrobat Reader (or command line tools like pdffonts from
xpdf).

> And how would it be switched?

The default settings of org-mode uses pdflatex. The compilation
process is configurable via the variable org-latex-pdf-process.

I don't know why and how Martin used dvips+gs. Maybe he just generated
the tex file with org and used another tool for generating PDF. Or
maybe he customized org-latex-pdf-process.

--
Until the next mail...,
Stefan.